Chianti Wine Regions

Italy’s Chianti Wine Regions

 

Italy is rapidly becoming one of the world’s best producers of varied wines. It is due to its vast areas dedicated to wine making and grape cultivations. One famous location is Tuscany’s Chianti wine regions. These regions are between Siena and Florence, and near the Elsa Valley. These Chianti wine regions have the lush characteristics of olive orchards, green forests and grapes plantations for making the best Chianti wines.

The grape varieties used in producing Chianti wines have a long history. The Phoenicians have brought the grape vines to what are now known Chianti wine regions. The Phoenicians have formerly named these Oenotria, or the Land of Wine. Later on, as the Chianti vineyards have fully grown from the great weather conditions of Tuscany, the Greeks, Etruscans and Romans have brought their own grape varieties and took part in cultivating in these regions.

On the other hand, the Chianti wine regions are not exempted from troubles. In the 18th century, phylloxera insects have plagued most European wine countries. These insects destroyed and fed on the vines, roots, leaves and fruits. However, Italian wine makers and grape planters have risen above the challenges. In the 1960s, Chianti lands were as inexpensive as they could be. Then the vineyards had been rebuilt and expanded. Today, wineries from Chianti areas are several of the world’s high quality producers.

Chianti wine regions manufacture great selections of wines because of the areas’ special climate conditions. There is little rain fall which makes the lands accommodate greater grape growing practices and needs. Since the climate is mostly dry throughout the year, the soil’s dryness and limestone content are essentially filled with nutrients and minerals. And the winemakers and grape growers in these areas need not regularly till and water the soil. The roots and vines are then required to seep deeper into the ground. Hence, these vines are stronger.

Moreover, the Italian government takes an important role in wine making. They have a set of standards for maximizing wine production. Denominazione di Origine Controllata or DOCG is one of the classifications. It is like the AOC of France. The government standards regulate the wine making processes, from grape yields to storage vessels, in eight Chianti wine regions. These are Chianti Classico, Colli Arentini, Colli Fiorentini, Coli Senesi, Colli Pisane, Montalbano, Rufina, and Montispertoli.

WG buy button

Among these eight regions, Chianti Classico is the most popular because of the high quality wines produced here. The best grape vines species known as Vitis vinifera is grown in this area. Generally, Italy wine regions have at least a hundred Vitis vinifera varieties.

There are more or less 25,000 acres of wineries in the Chianti region alone. The Chianti Classico occupies the largest portion of land, about 2/3 of the whole Chianti wine region. Chianti wineries mainly produce wine from Sangiovese red grape variety, accounting for about 80%; the other 20% blends Sangiovese with Canaiolo and Colorino red grape varieties. Trebbiano and Malvasia white grape varieties are the main ingredients for Chianti white wines. The government also regulates white grape yields, around nine tons only, to produce only first-class whites.

For the Chianti reds, they are characterized to be very rich in taste and texture, especially when they are matured longer. They are distinctly dry, have high levels of tannins and full aromas. Their flavors are also reminiscent of violets. The Chianti reds are usually aged in oak barrels. Riserva red wine is one of the most full-bodied Chianti red wines due to its 12% ABV.

Chianti wine regions are taking the world of wines by storm. The dedicated vintners are continuously providing the world with the best wines through the unwavering practice of growing and wine making regulations.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *